Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Challenge to the Legal Landscape

The legal landscape nationwide will change overnight if Efrem Martin, paralegal and former U.S. Marine, challenges the State of Colorado and the Colorado State Bar Association in Federal Court over the Unauthorized Practice of Law Statutes in that State ... and HE WINS!

Mr. Martin, a paralegal of 25 years, is currently being investigated and possibly facing criminal charges because he offers paralegal support services directly to pro se litigants -- a practice that his state has deemed illegal. In fact, UPL statutes protect Lawyer monopolies on the public's access to legal information in just about every state. Mr. Martin believes that pro se litigants have a right to paralegal support services just like attorneys.

Deirdre Glascoe, Executive Director and Founder of the National Association of Pro Se Litigants, Inc. (NAPSL) believes that the State Bar's claim that prohibiting paralegals from providing services directly to the public as a means to protect the public is a ruse. Glascoe believes UPL statutes are in place solely to stamp out competition and to force the public to pay unregulated attorney fees upwards of $400 per hour. Ms. Glascoe believes this is evidenced by the fact that the UPL investigation against Mr. Martin was not initiated by a member of the public who allegedly needed to be protected, but by Colorado Attorney, Byron Large, an attorney that Mr. Martin believes felt threatened that Mr. Martin was encroaching upon his [Large's] business. Mr. Martin plans to fight the investigation, and defend his right to operate a solo paralegal practice, and defend pro se litigant's right to procure legal support services directly from paralegals. "I took an oath to defend and protect my country against all 'Foreign and Domestic Enemies' and the American Bar Association is a domestic enemy." Mr. Martin says.

The National Association of Pro Se Litigants, Inc. supports Efrem Martin's position. Mr. Martin's full story can be found at http://www.napsl.org/

3 comments:

  1. As a paralegal, offering services to anyone who wants to pay for them, I feel that Pro Se litigants are here to stay! For whatever reason, there are many out there and more to come.

    It is a crock of poopie for anyone to holler UPL to someone who is helping the numerous individuals out there that want to have "their day in Court". From experience though, I cand definately say that the attorneys hate us, the Clerks hate us, and the Judges hate us.

    My message to the entities wanting to stop pro se litigant is that you'd best get used to the pro se litigants, and for those who are working in lawfirms I want to say...:
    Hell no, we won't go away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to contact a really good paralegals please contact me I desperately need your assistance The state of Georgia police has assaulted me,raped and took everything from me including my child and career and have brutally assaulted and caused many bodily injuries I've filed complaints in u.s district civil court and it was dismissed even though they know the state of Georgia attack me terroristicly and have committed many crimes against me to ruin my life and put false criminal charges to incarcerate me.Id like your assistance in fighting for my rights and help me out of the war they started against me

      Delete